High Mill was a water mill used for grinding corn, it is not known exactly when the mill was constructed however various reference to a mill at Markington have been found.
In 937 a Mill at 'Merchinga-tun' was recorded as church property, and later in 1030 the York Gospel book also quotes a Mill at Merchinga-tun. A mention of one mill in Markington was made in the Doomsday book (1066). The Poll tax of 1379 also lists two millers living in Markington.
A recites settlement (a will) of 1676/1677 quotes a water corn mill called Markington Mill. In 1678 the Manor of Markington included a corn mill.
In 1772, Jeffrey's map High Mill is marked in the expected location with a symbol which represents a mill wheel, and it also appears on the 1844 tithe map where the owner is shown as being Barbara Ann Wilberforce and the occupier a William Almack.
The water mill was used by a local farmer to grind corn for his own purposes up until approximately 1936. Joseph Ross, tenant at Low Mill, further down the village, purchased the property and associated land in this year.
The property was acquired in order to get the water rights, as previously the Low Mill was left inoperable when the farmer dropped his sluices, diverting the water to grind his corn.
The image shows the rear of the property and what is now High Mill Cottage. The tail race from the water wheel can be seen re-joining the main Markington Beck.
After the acquisition of High Mill, by J.Ross and Sons, it ceased to operate as a water mill and was instead as a general store for their business. The cottage which made up part of the estate is believed to have had tenants in it for a couple of years after the acquisition, but was likely vacant from 1938 onwards.
The workings were removed in 1968 by George Leatt and went to his industrial and folk museum at High Corn Mill, Skipton. The museum later became the property of Ledgard and Wynn and the water wheel remains there till this day.
High Mill Cottage was later divided off and became a seperate property, the former mill race was backfilled and a retaining wall constructed to form the garden of High Mill Cottage. The soil pictured at the very bottom right of the image below was used to backfill and create a raised garden adjacent to the beck. The path of the beck was also straightened at this time.