During the 1800s, the road joining Markington to Wormald Green took a more leisurely route. The road originally curved off at Wallerthwaite Farm and rejoined the current road at the sharp bend opposite Rock Cottage. The former route has now been partially absorbed by a lake, but some of the former road can still be seen as shown below. A 50yd (approx) section with in-tact dry stone walling can still be seen to this day.
In 1898 the road was altered to follow its present course and a ceremony was held to celebrate the cutting of the first sod. On the 10th of August in that year, a commemorative miniature spade was made and engraved to celebrate the event. The spade was presented to Mrs Hugh Ripley, of Hob Green Hotel, Markington by members of the parish council.