Wormald Green Station is situated just outside Markington alongside the A61 at Wormald Green. Passengers from Markington village would make the 1 mile walk from the village to catch a train. The Harrogate - Ripon - Northallerton line upon which the station is located, was opened in 1848 and provided both a passenger and goods service linking the main line between Leeds and Northallerton. The passenger service was withdrawn in 1967, and the goods service continued for a further 2 years until 1969.
The station comprised of a brick built station and ticket office, a separate covered seating area on the opposing platform, a signal box and level crossing, as well as a small goods yard. The signal box was demolished after the lines closure. The station platform and main building remain to this day, now repurposed as private houses and a cattery.
The crossing gates closed the Markington-Wormald Green road to traffic. The gates were operated from within the signal box by winding a wheel. A separate hand gate sat adjacent to the main road gates.
In it's heyday Wormald Green station was very well kept and even won a best kept station award with floral displays.
The station master lived in a provided house which sat alongside the goods yard.