Historic Markington

A photographic record of the village in days gone by

Markington Village Shop

The village shop was formerly a Methodist chapel, built in 1846 and used as such up until the 1890s when building work began on a more modern chapel at the current site of chapel garth, further up the village.

It is not known exactly when the building became used as the village stores, however undated photographs show it as a shop pre-dating the houses at poplar terrace. This leads us to suspect they were taken at some point in the early 1900s.

Village Shop Markington
View of the village shop pre-dating the building of poplar terrace
Village Shop Markington
The original stone plaque showing the build date of the chapel.

Page Last Updated: Saturday 16th of May 2020